Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Little squares of Happy :-)

Hello there!
Are you enjoying these warm sunny days we've been blessed with here in the UK? Or do you live in a part of the world where the weather is behaving very differently at the moment? Through our shared passions the internet makes it so easy to connect with folks from all around our beautiful planet! It also brings us more inspiration & future projects than we can possibly complete in one lifetime - but I'm not complaining really! :-)
I have long admired the Elmer style crochet blankets by talented ladies such as Heather at Little Tin BirdJacquie at Bunny Mummy, and Lucy at Attic24 so when my son & daughter-in-law told us they are expecting baby number two at the end of the year I knew exactly what kind of blanket I wanted to make for this new arrival! In the end I decided I really loved Lucy's one best of all & (unusually for me) really didn't want to change anything about it. After finishing the Minecraft amis I ordered all the colors that Lucy used that I didn't already have upstairs (!) and waited eagerly for them to arrive. I wasn't disappointed! Once I gathered all twenty three colors together what a lovely rainbow appeared on my couch!
I couldn't wait to get started! I picked up my trusty 4mm hook & worked up some granny squares...
I made a bunch but something just didn't feel right... I couldn't put my finger on it...Now Lucy's blanket is not a baby blanket, it measures 130cm by 130cm ( just over 51" each way) so I was going to have to miss out a lot of squares to make it baby blanket sized. Once I had worked up these nine squares I realised that instead of 144 squares my blanket would need just 81, which with a palette of 23 colors that was not going to give me anything like the same effect as Lucy's blanket. Which I loved. Hmmm.... Then one night about 1am it hit me. What about smaller squares???? I couldn't wait to try it out, so I got up, went downstairs, & worked up these...
 
Two little three round granny squares - how cute are they?!!!! See how much smaller they are than the five round grannies?
I did some quick calculations & worked out that if I used these little cuties I could make all 144 of them & by the time I added a border the blanket would be perfect baby sized!!! So that decided it. I went back to bed with a clear plan in my head to get up the next morning & rip those five round grannies back to three. Because I had used the Join as you Go method on my squares it didn't take me long to sort them out, and before I knew it I had two complete rows...
...then three... 
.... then more! 
These little squares were multiplying very happily and I was having oh-so-much fun! 
Truth to tell I got a bit addicted ;-) 
It was a bit like reading a really good book, you want to make it last but you just can't put it down! I worked the last two squares up in the car on the way to the beach last Thursday, here's a pic of it lying on the sand in the sunshine...
144 little squares of Happy :-) While my grandson built sandcastles with Grampa I made a start on the border. There is something very satisfying about hooking away to the sound of the waves, watching a two year old engrossed in building & demolishing sandcastles! A bit later we all went down to the water for a paddle, then after our picnic it was back to the sandcastles & the crochet. It was a truly lovely day :-)
I wanted to keep the border in proportion to the smaller size of the squares so where Lucy worked ten rounds of grannies I worked six. I really liked the spotty border Lucy had on hers but couldn't find instructions for it on her blog so I had a little play & came up with this...
What do you think? I took pics as I went along so I will try & get a little tutorial written up for anyone who's interested. 
So would you like to see the finished blanket? Well it's on the blocking mats right now but here it is before blocking... 
I absolutely loved making this! I adore these little granny squares so much that I have decided to make a bigger blanket like this for our bed. I haven't worked out how many squares that will need as I have a few other things that need my attention first, but watch this space! 
Thank you for visiting here today, I hope you have the chance to enjoy doing something fun this week! 









10 comments:

  1. That is awesome! How clever to make wee little squares! I LOVE it! the border is perfect. XoX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's amazing how much better my brain works at 1am!! I'm hoping to have the tutorial for the border finished soon... Need to go catch up on your blog now... XOX

      Delete
  2. So awesome and I would love a tutorial for the border pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona :-) I'm hoping on finishing the tutorial soon, I will post about it and then add the link under the tutorials tab at the top of the page so it will always be there. Must go see what you have been up to lately too! Have a great week, Helen :-)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love your finished blanket!!! Truly fantastic with little squares. I so wish I could learn to crochet, it is exactly what I dream of making... Any tutorials for clueless people like me would be fantastic. If it's simple enough, I would definitely give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mii! I'm sure you can learn to crochet, I learnt from a combination of books & youtube four years ago & I'm totally addicted now :-) Only thing is it splits your time so you don't get as much cross stitching done! I will get the tutorial for the border up soon but it's probably not a great place for a newbie to start, have you come across the Attic 24 blog? She has some great tutorials with loads of photos & I learnt so much from her when I decided to try making things other than animals. Have a great week, Helen x

      Delete
  4. Hi, I love your craft, is beauty, I love a colors, I follow your blog, hugs from Brazil.
    Visit my blog - Tita Carré - free patterns crochet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments Roberta, so glad to have you here! I need to visit your blog now :-) Have a lovely week, Helen x

      Delete
  5. wonderful blanket, very clever to think of the smaller squares, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Summer! the best ideas usually hit men the middle of the night, sometimes I'm even awake for them ;-) I loved making this blanket so now I have started making a huge one for our bed - I must be mad! Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!