Saturday, 5 July 2014

Two big yarny finishes!

Hello there!
Two posts in two days? What is going on here?! Well today I am rather excited to share two finishes with you that, in one way or another, have seemed a long time coming. Neither of them needed to hit an immediate deadline so it was just fine for them to take a while, but now they are done it does make them seem like bigger finishes somehow? Does that make any kind of sense?! Well the first of these is a knitting project - a certain pig would like to say hello! Yes, I finished the new Porkie!
 Back story available here if you missed it... Here he is with my original Porkie...
There are a few differences, but overall the new one is truer to the pattern (and probably closer to how my Porkie looked when new & before little me squished, cuddled, and loved on him!). I think my cousin will be happy with her Porkie when I deliver him to her later in the year...
Secondly, I finished my mixed stitch stripey blanket!!!
HaPpY DaNcE!!!
This began back here and here and at the start I kept a note of what stitch I used row by row but that kinda fell by the wayside as I got further into it! All the yarn details and a very rough outline of what I did can be found here on my Ravelry page if you're curious. There are much better pattern notes available on this blog and also here (which are what I used as a starting point). 
So would you like to see it? At the point where I had finished the main body of it but before I added the casing edge I spread it all out to take pictures and look what happened!
Somebody came along, lay down on it, & rolled herself up in it! 
So as you can see it ended up being about the length of my daughter... when I managed to evict her and spread it all out again it looked like this...
See all those ends? That is why I decided to try the casing edge as detailed at the end of Julie's post at Little Woolie - anything to save sewing all of them in! Well it was fairly quick & simple to hook up &, with all those ends hidden in the middle, the chunkiness of the finished edge reminds me of stuffed crust pizza - yum! I will let you know if there are any problems when I come to wash it, but as long as it wears ok then I will definitely being using this method on stripey blankets in the future!!!  It ended up measuring approximately 65" by 45" and here's a pic of the finished blanket with it's stuffed raspberry edge...
Of course I have already picked out a new blanket to work on - more details to follow! ;-)
Thank you for visiting me here today, I hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend!


8 comments:

  1. Wow Helen!!! The new Porkie is just adorable!!! Someone is going to be so happy :) I love love love your blanket!!!! It's FABULOUS.... even as a "spring roll" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mii! My cousin might think he was worth the wait ;-) I really enjoyed working on this blanket, she does make a great "spring roll" doesn't she?! :D Have a great week x

      Delete
  2. You know how awesome I think Porkie is! They are both adorable! Oh my goodness! lol the blanket looks very cool all rolled up with someone in ^_^ Just as they should be used ^_^ It is amazing! And the pizza crust edge is fab! I hope you are chuffed to chuckles with both finishes XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Steph! ^_^ I must admit I'm kinda chuffed ;-) XOX

      Delete
  3. What wonderful finishes! I love your blanket and am certainly going to check out the casing edging...those endy bits are a real pain to finish off, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rhona! Yes, I think sewing in all the ends on something like this beats fiddly backstitch hands down when it comes to "finishing jobs we dislike" ;-) Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  4. Two wonderful finishes. I love all the colours in the blanket, it looks great. Wow that was a lot of yarn ends, I think I would have tried just about anything not to have to sew all those in myself :) Love Porkie, he looks very cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comments! I think I'm a bit of a rainbow junkie, I just love playing with all the color combinations ;-) I think Porkie will get lots of cuddles from his new owner, he seems to get picked up & cuddled quite a bit here already! Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!