Saturday, 3 June 2017

17 ufos in 2017 - May update

Hello there!
May has been a very busy month here but I did manage to get some stitches in on The Wave, one of my 17 ufos in 2017 projects. Here is where I had gotten up to...


I have discovered as I work through The List that all these projects get abandoned for a reason. In this case it was the chart that was driving me crazy! Printed in three colors some of the symbols are very similar - like $ and S both in blue (at least print one in a different color???!) -  it was also too small for me to comfortably work from. Dear Hubbie came up with a solution. Now he is the tech wizard in this house & I'm not too exactly how he did it but he scanned the chart, made it into a pdf, and put it on my tablet so I can enlarge it to where I can comfortably read it. Oh I can also mark it off  so I can see where I've been like this...


I just tap that little speech bubble & pen icon at the bottom of the page & then use my touch pen to draw over the squares I've stitched. You can alter the opacity of the line you draw and, as you can see, I soon discovered it was easier to work from if you set it to slightly see through rather than completely obliterating the symbols! Once I could see what I was doing I got on a lot better with this stitch although I still have to concentrate on it more than most cross stitch projects which means no watching TV at the same time! This is where I am up to now....


Of the four pages I now have one completely finished and am about 30 squares up from the bottom right hand corner on the second page. Another small bugbear of mine with this is that the fabric was cut much smaller for this kit than I would've cut it myself. This means I am having issues finding a frame or hoop to comfortably work it in, especially when I want to work on the edge of the chart... grrr....  I am determined to get this finished but I'm not sure if I will continue stitching on this in June or bring out another UFO and come back to this later in the year.
Thank you for visiting me here today I hope to be back soon with some of the other projects I have been working on in May. Wishing you a wonderful and creative weekend!



4 comments:

  1. What a good idea! Your hubby is so clever and now you're going to fly through this project :) It looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ingrid! I am so lucky to have a Hubbie who is interested in my crafty things to where he makes helpful suggestions! It has made the world of difference to stitching this and I have been really enjoying seeing it come to life :-) Have a lovely weekend, Helen

      Delete
  2. What a great idea you hubby had....anything that makes our stitching lives easier is wonderful! You have made great progress on this beautiful design. I agree totally with you about the size of the fabric, sadly that seems to be quite common now when you buy a kit.....guess the company is trying to make as much profit as they can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhona, I'm lucky to have him I know! I don't buy many kits and, although it makes perfect sense for the company, this just adds another reason in the "cons" column for me :/ Just as well I have more charts than I can stitch in one lifetime lol! Happy stitching, Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!