Sunday, 11 June 2017

Birthday Minions!!

Hello there!
A certain little boy celebrated his fifth birthday at the end of May - and it really doesn't seem so long ago that his Daddy was that age! When we were visiting family (and crafty stores!) in Colorado last year Hubbie spotted a big Minions fabric panel and suggested Little H would love it on his bed. I had already started collecting Minions fabric for a birthday quilt for his younger brother so that gave me all the excuse  reason I needed to buy more so I could make them a quilt each :-) I set to work when we got home & this was ready for Little C's second birthday...


Please excuse the washed out colors, these photos were taken mid November when all we really have is artificial light! The fabrics are not the usual kind of thing I go for (way too modern!) but they seemed to work well with the fun Minions prints...


The pattern, Woodland Wonderland was in a back issue of McCall's Quilting magazine and finished up 38" x 45", just the right size for a little dude to carry round & curl up under. I backed and bound it with part of a plain navy cotton sheet & quilted it with straight diagonal lines using my walking foot...


The look on Little H's face when he saw his brother open his quilt really tugged at my heart, but I knew that his own birthday would come round soon enough. I found this free pattern for the panel we had bought which only needed a little adaptation to work with the fabrics I had left... 


This quilt finished out at 57" x 65", for backing and binding I used more of the navy sheet, and I quilted it out with organic wavy lines using my walking foot again. Then the big day arrived and as he unwrapped it he spotted something familiar..." It's Minions!!!"


Then as it unfolded further "It's HUGE Minions!!!!!" he yelled!


And seeing his little excited face it was all worth while. All the weighing up fabric choices in the stores, washing and ironing fabric when we got home, fiddling around with the pattern, arranging and rearranging all the blocks just so, and the afternoon learning how to use *another* new feature on my new sewing machine in order to make a label for the back of it...




6 comments:

  1. Aww these are so cute!! You've made two happy little ones!!! Love the personal touch with the label :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid! It's always great when handmade gifts are a hit isn't it?! The label wasn't as scary to make as I'd thought it might be so I will definitely be labeling all my quilts from now on... Have a lovely week!
      Helen

      Delete
  2. "It's HUGE Minions" has got to be my favourite comment of all time, that's real appreciation for the work you've done in these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Kids have a real way with words don't they?! Getting a reception like that also incentivizes me to finish his Santa stocking for this year! (It's one of the UFO projects on the list) Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful quilts....and what a great reaction from your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhona :-) I was a bit worried he might've grown out of Minions and that they were last years' hit but apparently not! Now I hear there's a new movie coming this summer so Minion madness is set to stay :-) I do have some leftovers... wonder what I can make with them? Have a lovely week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!